Saturday, March 28, 2020

It's a wild life on the course!

Hi, my name is Thor, and I want to share one of my favorite things with you:  Watching the wildlife at Laurel Creek.
A great dog lover, Mr. Daniels, took my picture.

But first let me tell you a little about myself.  To start with, I have the best job in the world.  I get to come to the golf course every day and check on all of the wildlife that lives there.  I've been doing this for seven years, and during that time I've seen all kinds of animals that call Laurel Creek home.

Some people don't think that golf courses are good for animals, but given what I see every day, I think that's just silly.  I mean  the golf course is 237 acres, which is really big!  40 acres of this is what they call wetlands, where almost no people go (even though a lot of their golf balls are in there...), and that's where some of the coolest animals like to hang out.

So, I'll try to tell you a little about some of the residents on the golf course.  But to be honest, since I'm just a dog, I don't know all that much science.  If you want to learn more about these animals, keep your eye out for the "blue words" which you can click on.  Come on, let's go!

A couple of the animals which live on the course look like they could be my cousins.  Just check out these "big dogs" I saw in the wetlands recently.

I am a little Shepherd, who heard a herd, it's so,
but when I tried to herd the herd, all I heard was, "No!"

So, apparently they aren't dogs after all, but  white-tailed deer.  There are lots of them on the golf course.  They really feel safe there and aren't very afraid of humans or me.  In other parts of the country, deer might have to be worried about wolves or bobcats, but around here, about the only thing which will hurt them are humans.  In the summer, we see baby deer, called fawns.


Last week, I saw another dog-looking animal, but this one wasn't a deer, it's called a red fox.  It turns out that I'm much more closely related to the fox than the deer.


I know it's hard to see, but that's because the fox doesn't stick around like the deer do.  It's actually kind of unusual to see fox during the day, but they often have their babies now, so the parents likely have more mouths to feed.  The baby foxes may be called kits, pups or cubs.


Sometimes we see nice big fluffy foxes, and other times they look pretty hungry.  A lot of people think foxes are carnivores (meat eaters), but they are actually omnivorous, which means they will eat both meat and plants.



Thanks for reading today--I'll be back soon to share more of my wildlife sightings with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment